An Act to provide for the conservation of forests and for matters connected therewith or ancillary or incidental thereto.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Thirty-first Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
1. Short title, extent and commencement.
2. Restriction on the dereservation of forests or use of forest land for non-forest purpose.
Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force in a State, no State Government or other authority shall make, except with the prior approval of the Central Government, any order directing-
Explanation - For the porpose of this section, "non-forest purpose" means the breaking up or clearing of any forest land or portion thereof for-
but does not include any work relating or ancillary to conservation, development and management of forests and wildlife, namely, the establishment of check-posts, fire lines, wireless communications and construction of fencing, bridges and culverts, dams, waterholes, trench marks, boundary marks, pipelines or other like purposes.
3. Constitution of Advisory Committee.
The Central Government may constitute a Committee consisting of such number of persons as h may deem fit to advise that Government with regard to-
3A. Penalty for contravention of the provisions of the Act.
Whoever contravenes or abets the contravention of any of the provisions of Section 2, shall be punishable with simple imprisonment for a period which may extend to fifteen days.
3B. Offences by the Authorities and Government Departments.
(1) Where any offence under this Act has been committed -
shall be deemed to be guilty of the offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly:
Provided that nothing contained in this sub-section shall render the head of the department or any person referred to in clause (b), liable to any punishment if he proves that the offence was committed without his knowledge or that he exercised all due diligence to prevent the commission of such offence.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), where an offence punishable under the Act has been committed by a department of Government or any authority referred to in clause (b) of sub-section (1) and it is proved that the offence has been committed with the consent or connivance of; or is attributable to any neglect on the part of any officer, other than the head of the department, or in the case of an authority, any person other than the persons referred to in clause (b) of sub-section (1), such officer or persons shall also be deemed to be guilty of that offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly.
4. Power to make rules.
5. Repeal and saving.