Locus Standi to file appeal against acquittal if state not filed appeal - Scope of P.I.L

If the State fails to appeal against the acquittal of a criminal, a citizen can move an appeal in the Supreme Court, and that court can take action through its extraordinary jurisdiction under Art.136 of the Constitution. [P.S.R.Sadhanantham Vs Arunachalam. (1980) 3 SCC 141 = AIR 1980 SC 856 = (1980) 2 SCR 873. V.R.Krishna Iyer, S.M.Fazal Ali, D.A.Desai, R.S.Pathak and A.D.Koshal (JJ)]